WhodunnitCannonfire

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, 21 January 2013

Obama's inaugural poem (updated)

Posted on 11:23 by Unknown
On Medicare and benefits
My plan will rob you less than Mitt’s.

I may still favor Goldman Sachs
But I’ll nudge up the fat cat tax.

And when the weather’s weirdly hot
I’ll talk about it. Not a lot.

I will insure that spooks can find
Your texts and emails – datamined.

About your guns: Don’t worry, folks --
You still can give them nice long strokes.

I will insure that all will call us
The butler of Israel ueber alles.

That said, I’ll try for four years more
To dodge that planned Iranian war.

I won’t invade but I like drones
Purchased with those T-bill loans.

I come to bring you peace and love
Don’t get me mad or DEATH FROM ABOVE.

And yet Fox News will tell you that
I am -- get this -- a Democrat!

Update: Okay, the truth is that I didn't watch much of Obama's speech, since the parts I heard seemed like ad copy. Even though he lip-serviced some stuff I liked, there's a difference between liking and believing what that man says.

What bugs me is the media's reaction. Here's a right-wing blogger pretending that he heard Obama deliver an "ode to big government and collectivism," as though the President had come up with a rap version of the Internationale. The Breitbarters think that Obama praised "the collective" and "attempted nothing less than an assault on the timeless notion of liberty itself." Prepare to be assimilated...!

Meanwhile, here's James Fallows pretending that he finally heard the Real Liberal Thing from Obama's lips.
...well, it's almost as if he has won re-election and knows he will never have to run again and hears the clock ticking on his last chance to use the power of the presidency on the causes he cares about. If anyone were wondering whether Obama wanted to lower expectations for his second term ... no, he apparently does not.
And here's Politico proclaiming that there's a new Obama in town -- an old-school New Dealer, this time for sure, no foolin'.

To all of this, Digby wisely retorts:
There was a time when I paid close attention to President Obama's speeches and searched for clues as to how he would tie his policies in with the values stated within it. I have since been schooled by all the smart people of all political and ideological stripes that nothing the president says matters and that the presidency is a largely ceremonial post so I no longer take much time to parse the words.
The bit about the presidency being a ceremonial post is too cynical even for me, but other than that I like what Digby has said. We've done the Lucy-and-the-football thing too often.

Nevertheless, I don't regret asking readers to vote against Romney in 2012. Two reasons: 1. Iran, and 2. The Supreme Court. If you need a third reason -- well, the candidate was Mitt Freakin' Romney, for crying out loud. I may have hated Obama, but I fell in hate with Romney.

A final note. I'm not the only who kept an eye on Joe Biden today. What I love about Biden is the fact that his face has rubberized with age. There's a lot to be said for a politician with a rubber face. The emotions always show -- which means that such a man can't easily lie.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Spooks, war, financial skullduggery, Assange and Windows 8
    Gotta move quickly... That secret listening post. I thought that the preceding post -- which identifies the probable location of the secret...
  • The best blog post ever?
    A friend to this blog directs our attention to what may be the single finest blog post ever written . Wish to hell I had written it. But if ...
  • Mona Lisa, men have maimed you
    I'm going to take some time away from editing my Leonardo da Vinci video to write a non-political Sunday post about...Leonardo da Vinci....
  • Notes...
    They're going after the Clintons again. The rightists pretended to be pro-Hillary in 2008, for comprehensible partisan reasons. But thi...
  • Did a Libertarian hero cause the Sandy Hook massacre?
    The headline above this post is, admittedly, a somewhat hyperbolic provocation. But there's a case to be made for its literal truth. A w...
  • Good, but not good enough
    Al Franken is pushing a "stalking app" bill which will limit the amount of information your mobile unit can collect about you and...
  • Bout steak
    The horsemeat-sold-as-beef scandal took a parapolitical turn recently, when it was revealed that the mastermind may be the notorious Viktor ...
  • Guns: Three scenarios
    This blog has never published a polemic in favor of any form of gun control. I've always presumed -- and still presume -- that the issue...
  • Anonymous threatens to disrupt the SOTU
    Let's see what happens... The threatening message lists the persecutions of Aaron Swartz and Bradley Manning as two of the motives for ...
  • School prayer: The devil really IS in the details
    This story is piffle, but it's irresistible piffle . In Florida, Republican Governor Rick Scott has pushed for legislation allowing stu...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (339)
    • ►  August (36)
    • ►  July (45)
    • ►  June (40)
    • ►  May (36)
    • ►  April (54)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (34)
    • ▼  January (57)
      • Cops
      • How black was my helicopter
      • Non sequitur of the day: "Second Amendment!"
      • A voting rights amendment
      • "Blood libel"
      • David Brooks' advice to Republicans
      • "The Untold History of the United States"
      • The plot against Aaron Swartz
      • Which conspiracy theories have merit? Which are no...
      • Notes...
      • Women in combat
      • The Untouchables
      • The best conspiracy theory I've seen all day
      • Hillary, Benghazi and the Johnson Unit
      • Zero Dark Thirty and the Al Qaeda mysteries
      • A story about guns
      • Obama's inaugural poem (updated)
      • "If someone says we have to talk peace, he’s consi...
      • The Second Amendment isn't in danger -- it's all t...
      • The Sandy Hook Pseudotruthers
      • Tyranny...?
      • Follow-up post on the Awlaki mystery
      • The inevitable follow-up post on guns (with an add...
      • What Aaron Swartz actually did
      • The inevitable gun control post
      • Is there a hidden side to the Swartz story?
      • Mickey Mouse killed Aaron Swartz
      • Atrios gets it right
      • Okay, this is weird...
      • What's it going to be: Social Security or Defense?...
      • Psy War
      • No coin
      • RFK Jr. on the murder of his uncle
      • School prayer: The devil really IS in the details
      • Noteworthy...
      • Red State Hell
      • "BAM! I cannot believe how idiot these people are!"
      • Can we use The Coin to pay Atlas to shrug?
      • Laptop vs. tablet
      • Noted...
      • Brother, can you spare a trillion-dollar coin?
      • Aw, shoot
      • I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this (up...
      • A little advice
      • Austerity won't work
      • The Awlaki mystery: Was he one of ours? Is he real...
      • FBI abets plot to assassinate Occupy leaders
      • "Terrorists and pedophiles and cannibals -- oh my!"
      • Ah, 1966!
      • I've been waiting decades for this one...
      • Some conspiracies are open
      • King's speech
      • Still more cliff notes
      • Let's focus on what's really important
      • What...?
      • 2016: It's over, baby
      • A look back at stuff
  • ►  2012 (161)
    • ►  December (37)
    • ►  November (41)
    • ►  October (47)
    • ►  September (36)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile