WhodunnitCannonfire

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Wednesday, 2 January 2013

Let's focus on what's really important

Posted on 07:01 by Unknown
I was going to write a long post about the last-minute fiscal cliff avoidance scheme, which -- according to my spies -- Congress enacted simply to keep another Cannonfire prediction from coming true. (Previous posts had forecast that there would be no deal.) But to tell you the truth, this old noggin is still far too spinny and dizzy and mucus-filled and flu-beset to come to any firm conclusions -- about the budget, about taxes, about anything.

But I think I would have preferred going over.

On the other hand, the Big Deal means that the unemployment bennies will keep spewing for another year, and I guess that's a good thing. At least Riverdaughter won't be forced to...you know. She won't have to live the horrible degraded way I live, searching pocket lint for change in order to scrape up enough coinage to buy a package of off-brand mac and cheese. She has actually rooted for going over the cliff. That's admirable.

Also admirable is what Ross Douthat has to say...
As I’ve suggested before, these negotiations amounted to a test of liberalism’s ability to raise revenue, and it isn’t clear that this outcome constitutes a passing grade: If a newly re-elected Democratic president can’t muster the political will and capital required to do something as straightforward and relatively popular as raising taxes on the tiny fraction Americans making over $250,000 when those same taxes are scheduled to go up already, then how can Democrats ever expect to push taxes upward to levels that would make our existing public progams sustainable for the long run?
I think Douthat is saying tax cuts don't work tax cuts don't work tax cuts don't work. If he's not saying that, he should. Because tax cuts don't work.

Enough. Let's focus on what's really important. On my New Year's resolution. Which is this: To grow a magnificent beard.

My stupid beard has always been short and scraggly and ugly. All the hairs want to escape my face and can't agree on a direction.

This year, through sheer willpower (and maybe some commercial product) I will tame this beard, control it, soften it, lengthen it, unfurl its power.

What bugs me is the color. Right now, it's all salt-and-peppery -- not an unusual thing at this age, and not really unwelcome. The problem is that much of the pepper is on the left side while the salt is on the right. This defies any sense of cosmic symmetry.

I'm thinking of going almost entirely silver, like Sean-Connery-as-General-Ramius. (But longer.) This is not a bad look for a man of a certain age. And while I may not be able to convey Connery's aura of leonine sexual mastery, I can glower at people and tell them to fuck off. That will do.

Hell, I may even buy a ushanka, if funds permit. But not one with a Soviet naval insignia, because Russians laugh at the silly American tourists who wear those.

The big alternative to going silver would be to dye the whole beard to look peppery. No. A stupid option, that. People will laugh.

Another alternative would be to bleach it white and try to get work as a Santa next December.

Or maybe I could dye it an unnatural blue, in reference to Joan of Arc's most notorious general. Did I ever tell you about him?

I'd be grateful for any feedback on the important topic of beardiness. Check back here later today. If this flu has let up, I may actually post something non-surreal. Until then, remember the kangaroos.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Spooks, war, financial skullduggery, Assange and Windows 8
    Gotta move quickly... That secret listening post. I thought that the preceding post -- which identifies the probable location of the secret...
  • The best blog post ever?
    A friend to this blog directs our attention to what may be the single finest blog post ever written . Wish to hell I had written it. But if ...
  • Mona Lisa, men have maimed you
    I'm going to take some time away from editing my Leonardo da Vinci video to write a non-political Sunday post about...Leonardo da Vinci....
  • Notes...
    They're going after the Clintons again. The rightists pretended to be pro-Hillary in 2008, for comprehensible partisan reasons. But thi...
  • Did a Libertarian hero cause the Sandy Hook massacre?
    The headline above this post is, admittedly, a somewhat hyperbolic provocation. But there's a case to be made for its literal truth. A w...
  • Good, but not good enough
    Al Franken is pushing a "stalking app" bill which will limit the amount of information your mobile unit can collect about you and...
  • Bout steak
    The horsemeat-sold-as-beef scandal took a parapolitical turn recently, when it was revealed that the mastermind may be the notorious Viktor ...
  • Guns: Three scenarios
    This blog has never published a polemic in favor of any form of gun control. I've always presumed -- and still presume -- that the issue...
  • Anonymous threatens to disrupt the SOTU
    Let's see what happens... The threatening message lists the persecutions of Aaron Swartz and Bradley Manning as two of the motives for ...
  • School prayer: The devil really IS in the details
    This story is piffle, but it's irresistible piffle . In Florida, Republican Governor Rick Scott has pushed for legislation allowing stu...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (339)
    • ►  August (36)
    • ►  July (45)
    • ►  June (40)
    • ►  May (36)
    • ►  April (54)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (34)
    • ▼  January (57)
      • Cops
      • How black was my helicopter
      • Non sequitur of the day: "Second Amendment!"
      • A voting rights amendment
      • "Blood libel"
      • David Brooks' advice to Republicans
      • "The Untold History of the United States"
      • The plot against Aaron Swartz
      • Which conspiracy theories have merit? Which are no...
      • Notes...
      • Women in combat
      • The Untouchables
      • The best conspiracy theory I've seen all day
      • Hillary, Benghazi and the Johnson Unit
      • Zero Dark Thirty and the Al Qaeda mysteries
      • A story about guns
      • Obama's inaugural poem (updated)
      • "If someone says we have to talk peace, he’s consi...
      • The Second Amendment isn't in danger -- it's all t...
      • The Sandy Hook Pseudotruthers
      • Tyranny...?
      • Follow-up post on the Awlaki mystery
      • The inevitable follow-up post on guns (with an add...
      • What Aaron Swartz actually did
      • The inevitable gun control post
      • Is there a hidden side to the Swartz story?
      • Mickey Mouse killed Aaron Swartz
      • Atrios gets it right
      • Okay, this is weird...
      • What's it going to be: Social Security or Defense?...
      • Psy War
      • No coin
      • RFK Jr. on the murder of his uncle
      • School prayer: The devil really IS in the details
      • Noteworthy...
      • Red State Hell
      • "BAM! I cannot believe how idiot these people are!"
      • Can we use The Coin to pay Atlas to shrug?
      • Laptop vs. tablet
      • Noted...
      • Brother, can you spare a trillion-dollar coin?
      • Aw, shoot
      • I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this (up...
      • A little advice
      • Austerity won't work
      • The Awlaki mystery: Was he one of ours? Is he real...
      • FBI abets plot to assassinate Occupy leaders
      • "Terrorists and pedophiles and cannibals -- oh my!"
      • Ah, 1966!
      • I've been waiting decades for this one...
      • Some conspiracies are open
      • King's speech
      • Still more cliff notes
      • Let's focus on what's really important
      • What...?
      • 2016: It's over, baby
      • A look back at stuff
  • ►  2012 (161)
    • ►  December (37)
    • ►  November (41)
    • ►  October (47)
    • ►  September (36)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile