WhodunnitCannonfire

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sunday, 12 May 2013

Hawking

Posted on 12:31 by Unknown
Did or did not physicist Stephen Hawking respect the boycott of Israel? According to a report in The Guardian, such was indeed his reason for bowing out of a planned visit. Soon after that piece appeared, we were inundated with news stories stating that the Guardian got it all wrong, and that Hawking cancelled his trip due to health reasons.

Quite under-reported was the later confirmation that Hawking really does support the boycott.

This story is told, in a very biased way (but with all relevant citations and details), on this right-wing site.

Here is Hawking's actual statement:
“I have received a number of emails from Palestinian academics. They are unanimous that I should respect the boycott. In view of this, I must withdraw from the conference. Had I attended I would have stated my opinion that the policy of the present Israeli government is likely to lead to disaster.”
So now we have to ask why AP and other mainstream media outlets did so much to publicize the bogus "health reasons" story. Fake news doesn't make itself, you know.

The above-cited right-wing site, Legal Insurrection, now counts Hawking among the "bad guys." I see nothing wrong with either his statement or his actions. But I do have a problem with the bizarre views expressed by LI:
The boycott, which singles out only Israel, attracts open and de facto anti-Semites and those in the leftist-Islamist coalition who seek Israel’s destruction.
"The leftist-Islamist coalition"? What leftist-Islamist coalition? How come I've never met a single left-wing "Islamist" during the past forty-or-so years I've been following politics? I've met left-wingers who dislike all forms of religious belief; none of them wanted to buddy up with either jihadists or the Sieg Heil crowd.

For my part, I've consistently stated that I find all forms of fundamentalism -- Christian, Islamic, Jewish, Hindu -- equally vile. I might even go so far as to categorize "evangelical atheism" as just another form of fundamentalist zealotry. All isms are prisons.

Is the term "Islamist" now defined so broadly as to include everyone who believes, as I do, that Israeli treatment of the Palestinians mirrors the horrors that American Indians suffered at the hands of whites?

It is pure fantasy to suggest that the left marches in (goose-)step with "open and de facto anti-Semites." On the other hand, there has long been much overlap between the American right wing and old-school anti-Jewish bigotry. For example, lots of people still read and cite the paranoid works of Nesta Webster or Eustace Mullens, and the fans of those two authors can hardly be called liberals. I could fill up a very long post on that theme, if tasked to do so.

Then again, the exercise would probably be pointless. Now matter how well you argue, you can't prove that the sky is blue to someone who insists that the sky is some other color.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Spooks, war, financial skullduggery, Assange and Windows 8
    Gotta move quickly... That secret listening post. I thought that the preceding post -- which identifies the probable location of the secret...
  • The best blog post ever?
    A friend to this blog directs our attention to what may be the single finest blog post ever written . Wish to hell I had written it. But if ...
  • Notes...
    They're going after the Clintons again. The rightists pretended to be pro-Hillary in 2008, for comprehensible partisan reasons. But thi...
  • Bout steak
    The horsemeat-sold-as-beef scandal took a parapolitical turn recently, when it was revealed that the mastermind may be the notorious Viktor ...
  • Did Obama quietly engineer the latest Egyptian coup?
    When the Muslim Brotherhood came to power in Egypt, they bent over backwards to placate Washington. They said, more-or-less, the required th...
  • Data dump on THAT divorce...
    Wow. I didn't know that the divorce of Mitt Romney's pal Tom Stemberg was this ugly . Multiple sources connected with the divorce t...
  • Did a Libertarian hero cause the Sandy Hook massacre?
    The headline above this post is, admittedly, a somewhat hyperbolic provocation. But there's a case to be made for its literal truth. A w...
  • On the muddying of sacred waters
    Sometimes, reading old opinion pieces can be instructive. In November of last year, Dylan Byers of Politico took a sneering look at Michael...
  • School prayer: The devil really IS in the details
    This story is piffle, but it's irresistible piffle . In Florida, Republican Governor Rick Scott has pushed for legislation allowing stu...
  • Mona Lisa, men have maimed you
    I'm going to take some time away from editing my Leonardo da Vinci video to write a non-political Sunday post about...Leonardo da Vinci....

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (339)
    • ►  August (36)
    • ►  July (45)
    • ►  June (40)
    • ▼  May (36)
      • Noted...
      • A politically-incorrect non-political post
      • Irate Republican Syndrome
      • Ginning up war
      • Show some guts, IRS -- go after the Tea Party liars!
      • "Closed for repairs"
      • How things have changed
      • o-BOMB-a: The movie
      • Seriously. This will be in the movie.
      • The Rosen quest: In (partial) defense of Eric Holder
      • Obama's drone speech
      • Terrorism and Pilate's question
      • Finally, a solution to the Great Crotch-Bomber Mys...
      • Listening to your telephone calls
      • Another one
      • Scandals, real and fake
      • This shit's gotta stop
      • Around and about...
      • AP spying: Were other news journals targeted too?
      • Double standard
      • Hawking
      • The Trilby of Doom
      • The "Christian" mass-murderer
      • 40 hours
      • Benghazi: What did the Republicans know, and when ...
      • Windows Blew
      • New, from Spook Press!
      • More things to worry about (Plus: How would Yoda s...
      • Why are the Republicans STILL flogging Benghazi?
      • Did the Syrian REBELS use chemical weapons?
      • The examined life is not worth living
      • Israel and Syria
      • Are they really going after a...a BANK?
      • Ain't it the truth
      • The real terror enablers
      • Sanford
    • ►  April (54)
    • ►  March (37)
    • ►  February (34)
    • ►  January (57)
  • ►  2012 (161)
    • ►  December (37)
    • ►  November (41)
    • ►  October (47)
    • ►  September (36)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile